Andhra Pradesh has solar potential of 38.44GW. The State government is keen to tap its immense solar potential and promote this clean source of energy to meet the rising energy requirements of the State. The following factors make Andhra Pradesh an ideal location for setting up Solar Power Projects:
- Availability of about 300 sunny days in a year with solar insolation of more than 5 kWh/m²/day.
- Amongst the best performing power distributing companies in India (APEPDCL and APSPDCL).
- An efficient and strong evacuation infrastructure that can facilitate distributed generation.
Andhra Pradesh is one the state that has been selected by Ministry of Power as one of the pilot states for implementation of the 24X7 – Power for All (PFA) scheme and the state is also poised for rapid industrial growth driven by infrastructure investments, Solar energy can become an important source in meeting the growing power requirements of the State.
To meet the power requirement of the state Andhra Pradesh has a target of 9834 MW by 2022 and 5000 MW by 2020.
Andhra Pradesh has come up with its new solar power policy which has an objective to install 5GW solar power plants in 5 years. Currently Andhra has solar capacity of 357.34 MW.
The solar policy of the state aims to promote widespread usage of solar power and to meet the following objectives.
- To target a minimum total solar power capacity addition of 5,000 MW in the next five years in the State with a view to meet the growing demand for power in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- To develop solar park(s) with the necessary utility infrastructure facilities to encourage developers to set up solar power projects in the State.
- To promote distributed generation that can help in avoiding upstream network cost and contribute towards loss reduction.
- To deploy solar powered agricultural pumpsets and meet power requirements of farmers during day time.
- To promote local manufacturing facilities which will generate employment in the State.
||Max received bid
||Min received bid
||Projects Under RPSSGP/GBI Scheme
|NTPC Ltd.( Own Projects)500 MW
|NTPC Ltd.( Own Projects)350 MW
|500 MW by APGENCO
|500 MW in Ananthapuramu Solar Park